Friday, October 21, 2011

Luke Interviews Chubbs, a Book Dog

Wow, Chubbs lives in books. I live in books and in a house too. Since I couldn't imagine what a whole life in books would be, I'm really glad Chubbs filled me in.
1.  Describe yourself.

I'm a forty pound ball of black and white, wiry-haired energy. I've been told my mother was mostly a terrier who didn't run very fast.  I also understand she never claimed any of the hounds around her neighborhood as my daddy, so no one's quite sure who he was.  Jim, my owner, has told me I have a cocker spaniel face, but I'm not too sure about that.

2.  I understand you're a book dog. Are you also a real-life dog like me?

I'm a book dog and proud to be one.  The advantage of being a book dog is that more people get to enjoy your company.
 

3.   What do you do in the books?

My main role in the books is to help make our house a home.  I try to bring some companionship and "spice" into Jim's life. I don't know if you know this, but he went through a divorce that really devastated him a few years back.
 

4.  Who is your book master? What is he like?

Well, I guess I have beaten around the bush.  Let me tell you about Jim.  He's approximately six, maybe seven years old - that's doggie years by the way.  I don't know how to do people years. He's got light colored hair, but not as white as that prissy poodle across the street. Jim's has a little grey in it.  I try to keep him in shape and I think I've been doing a good job.  I have to tell you, though, when I first met him, he was really down in the dumps.  He looked like someone had run off with his favorite chew toy.  He talks to me a lot when we're together, and I finally figured out that his wife had left him.  Over the last couple of years though, I think he's getting back to normal.  I worry about him when he goes away on those trips.  He came back one time all banged up.  Jim had more bandages on him than that collie down the road after the German shepherd caught him flirting with his girl friend.  Jim's on a golf outing right now, but he's overdue.  I'm worried again.
 

5.   What are your likes and dislikes? Can dogs in a book smell?

     Of course book dogs can smell.  That's why Jim bathes me now and then.  And I can smell things, especially when I'm hungry and Jim brings me home something from the restaurant.
 

6. Do you think authors can successfully write about a dog's character?

I think authors can effectively write about dogs in their books, as long as they've been trained by dogs in their own lives.
 

7.  Do you help solve the crime in your books?

I haven't had to solve any crimes in the books -- yet. But, I'm willing to try!


8.  Are you on the cover of any of the books?

I'm not on the cover of any books, but I understand the author has had the gall to put his own dog on the back cover of his newest book.  I guess, like they say, it's who you know.


9.  What do you like most about being a character in a book?

I like being the positive character in the book. I like being the reason Jim knows he has a home.  Maybe he'll find another mate one day, but for now, there's just me.


10. What is your role when the book is being written?

My role in the books is pretty much what I've already said.    I add another dimension to Jim's character and help give him a place he can call home.

Chubb's New Book

Author Bob Doerr reports: “I modeled Chubbs after the dog my family had when I grew up.  He was a mix of a mix of dogs, but we believed he was mostly terrier.  I don't have a picture of him right now, but have attached the cover of my new book, Another Colorado KIll.

Check out Bob's website: www.bobdoerr.com

No comments:

Post a Comment